The Berlin router manufacturer AVM regularly releases updates for its Fritzboxes and other Fritz devices. This includes repeaters, powerline adapters, but also Fritz phones. atechbook has the information about the latest updates.
AVM has a whole range of different devices on offer, most of which have been supplied with new firmware updates for years. The updates bring numerous innovations for the Fritzboxes, repeaters and powerline adapters, but often also solve minor problems. In the run-up, the company usually prepares the so-called release candidates for the current major Fritzbox update by means of a laboratory. New functions also continue to be tested through smaller updates from the Fritz lab. Here you can find out for which devices AVM currently offers an update.
In the list, we include updates to the official Fritz!OS as well as the latest lab versions. Since AVM is only testing new features in the Fritz Lab, the software may cause minor problems in operation. Therefore, please pay attention to the notes we give on installing a Fritz Lab.
Current Fritzbox updates at a glance
Lab update for DSL and cable Fritzbox
AVM is rapidly approaching the release of the next major Fritz!OS. However, until 7.50 is ready, the router manufacturer is testing the new functions in various lab updates. One such update is currently available for numerous DSL and cable Fritz boxes. The update is very extensive this time and includes numerous adjustments and optimizations.
A total of six different Fritzboxes receive the update – the DSL models Fritzbox 7590 AX, 7590 and 7530 as well as the cable routers Fritzbox 6690 Cable, 6660 Cable and 6591 Cable. The changelog, which lists all the new features of the Fritzbox update, contains the same points in each case. There are not only changes to the system, AVM has also updated the VPN connections and fixed data throughputs in WLAN connections. These are the innovations in detail:
- Improved initial setup wizard with option to send or receive faxes.
- Improvement Stored e-mail address in user account can be deleted
- Improvement Larger text in many tables
- Improvement Behavior of buttons at the bottom of the page changed
- Improvement Sync data rate instead of available data rate on “Overview” and “Online Monitor” pages
- Fixed Failed logins to the ISP were not listed in the event log
- Fixed In rare cases, the e-mail notification about a successful update was not sent via the MyFritz! platform
- Fixed Without ISP-provided DNS servers, NTP time determination was not possible
- Fixed Under certain circumstances the update of the filter of the “Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdende Medien” (BPjM) failed
- Fixed WireGuard VPN connection between dual-stack and DS-Lite port dropped permanently under certain circumstances
- Fixed For WireGuard connections “Internet address of this Fritzbox” was not displayed under certain circumstances
- Fixed In very rare cases, no update request was performed anymore and the information about the mesh master was not transferred to MyFritz!Net
- Improved In case of VPN connections, Internet access was prevented by parental control under certain circumstances
- Fixed Throughput problems with 160 MHz channel bandwidth (5 GHz band) with some Huawei devices (Mate 20 Pro, P30, among others) – this new feature refers to the Fritzbox 6591 Cable as well as 7590
- Fixed Button “Start WPS” on the page “WLAN / Security / WPS Fast Connection” was without function
- Fixed WLAN could sporadically not be activated or deactivated via Fritz-Fon in certain scenarios
- Improved automatic channel selection on the 5 GHz band in case of interference by RADAR (7530)
- Fixed multiple DFS wait time after initial setup
Update for Powerline adapters
After the updates for various Fritzboxes, AVM is currently focusing on the powerline adapters. New firmware is available for the Fritz!Powerline 1000E (v2), 1220E and 1220 models. The new features are identical for all four adapters and include various improvements. The manufacturer has increased the security and stability of Internet connections for all of them.
The current updates have the version number 184.108.40.206-xx, each with a different last digit. All of them have been officially released by AVM, so users receive full support from the manufacturer. The changelog contains the following new features:
- Increased security in the powerline network
- Determination of the network load enables better mesh steering
- More reliable topology information in case of network loops enables automatic network loop elimination by the mesh
- More detailed information about neighboring devices on the network (LLDP protocol) provides a more accurate mesh topology
- Permanent stability increased
The innovations in the current FritzOS
With the latest Fritz!OS, AVM says it is delivering numerous new features and optimizations for its Fritz devices. These are intended not only to increase the performance of the Fritzboxes, but also to improve WLAN connections from mobile devices, enable faster and more stable connections via VPN networks, and ensure greater security in the home network. Overall, AVM is introducing innovations in all core areas such as Internet, telephony, smart home and home network.
Read the linked news item to find out which adjustments and features are included in the update to Fritz!OS 7.25 and higher.
Fritz Lab: What you need to know
If an update comes from the Fritz Lab, different conditions apply compared to the official updates. This is because AVM uses the lab firmware to test new functions that will later become part of the large, official firmware update at the end of August or beginning of September. It therefore has beta character. The manufacturer also points out that there may be problems when running the software.
Users can try out a Fritz Lab if the current FritzOS is installed on their Fritzbox. Before installing the software, however, the data and settings on the router should be backed up to be on the safe side. Once this has been done, users can download the Fritz Lab firmware from AVM’s website and save it on their computer as a ZIP file. After unpacking the file, the following steps are then necessary for installation:
- Call up the Fritzbox interface in the browser with http://fritz.box and enter the password for your Fritzbox if necessary.
- At the bottom of the menu you will find the footer “View: Advanced”, which you have to activate
- Now you will find the tab “FritzOS file” under “System / Update”.
- Select the path to the previously downloaded and unzipped ZIP file in the input field and click on “Start update”.
If a lab firmware is already installed on the Fritzbox, a new update will be offered automatically. Note that the update process may take a few minutes. During this time, the router’s info lamp flashes. Once the update is complete, the Fritzbox restarts automatically. Data and settings are not lost, so the router is ready for use again as usual.